Home » Flooring
Category Archives: Flooring
Looking to upgrade your old basement? Remodeling your crawlspace and turning it into a finished basement is definitely a doable project. However, it is also a project that needs professional knowledge, proper planning, a good budget, and at least a couple of qualified basement remodeling contractors for safety purposes. Here are some important tips that you should keep in mind when looking for contractors for basement remodeling:
– Check if the contractors are licensed. Having a contractor at Fairfax Floors who is licensed to work in your state can help you a lot with safety concerns. Professional basement remodeling contractors will have the necessary licenses for finishing a basement according to the building codes. This way, you can be assured that your finished basement will be safe enough. Having a license means that the professional contractor has gone through some serious training regarding any basement remodeling project’s safety concerns.
– Check if they can give you a comprehensive estimate on the whole basement renovation project. A cheap contractor may give you a cheap quote on a one-time simple finishing. But in a few months, things may start to change, and the remodeled basement will be way beyond the cheap estimate you got. On the other hand, a professional contractor can give you a realistic price on the whole project. This way, you can easily plan and budget for the whole project.
– Make sure that the basement remodeling contractors are not from the same company that did the original basement conversion. Ask if there are any common contracts or policies that the contractor has with his previous clients. If there are, inquire whether the mold inspection was up to date before they started working on your home. In some states, mold inspection should be done annually, but it is still best to confirm this with all the potential contractors.
– You must ask your basement remodeling contractor about the type of foundation used on your house. This is because certain basement ceiling and wall systems are vulnerable to moisture. Certain basement waterproofing systems have better performance levels than others. If you want to be absolutely sure that no moisture seepage will occur on your floors, walls, ceilings, and other structures, you should get a moisture barrier. Most basement waterproofing systems have been designed to use the existing foundation footer drain to transport excess water away from the house. However, you may want to check if your current system is still as effective as it should be.
– You should also inquire about the type of finishing methods used on the remodeled basement. Many homeowners do not mind getting a little bit of extra “cured cement” on their basements, as long as the homeowners are not doing anything to devalue the house or its value. Unfortunately, many remodeling homeowners who are expecting a finished basement modification will do just the opposite and actually damage the property.
There are basically two types of basement remodeling, exterior, and interior. Exteriors remodels generally focus on sprucing up the outside of the home. In other words, the outside of the home will get more attention as opposed to the interiors. Exterior remodeling can include repairing leaky roofing, repairing basement walls, and repairing damp crawl spaces (the places where the ground meets the foundation walls). Interior remodeling, on the other hand, tends to deal with fixing the internal problems of the house, like damp basements.
As you can see, you need to be very careful when asking questions regarding your basement remodeling. There are people out there who are not going to tell you the truth, simply because they benefit from your time and money. If you have any doubts about whether your basement remodeling project should involve new framing basement walls or an exterior lighting upgrade, then contact a reputable and licensed contractor for more information.